Daniel Cormier not facing Tim Sylvia according to Dana White

Update: Today, Dana White reported exclusively to the Underground that Tim Sylvia would not be joining the Zuffa roster, under either the UFC or the Strikeforce banner.

It was widely reported that the ex-UFC heavyweight champion had signed a four-fight contract with the promotion, and would fight Strikeforce Grand Prix Champion Daniel Cormier in late Septemnber.

However, this appears to not be the case. White said the signing was never announced, and that “long story, but yes, Tim is not with Zuffa.”

White received criticism earlier today, as he had told the media that Tim Sylvia was not an option to fight Cormier, before today’s news of Sylvia’s signing broke online

But, as is usually the case with rumors, in the words of White himself: “Never a FACT unless I say it is.”

___________

Sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com that former UFC Champion Tim Sylvia (30-7) has signed a deal and will fight recent Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix champion Daniel Cormier (10-0) at an event planned for Sept. 29 at Power Balance Pavilion in Sacramento, California

Sylvia and his manager, Monte Cox, declined to comment.

Regardless, Sylvia is now headed to Showtime for his Cormier bout.

Interestingly, Sylvia signed a multi-fight deal despite the impending close of the Strikeforce heavyweight division.

The five-time heavyweight champ has racked up three wins since a first-round TKO loss to “The Ultimate Fighter 10” veteran Abe Wagner that drastically set back his comeback. Overall, he is 7-3 since he fought Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the interim heavyweight title at UFC 81 and lost by third-round submission.

Since that fight, Sylvia’s career has been a roller coaster of ups and downs. He’s lost to Fedor Emelianenko by submission in 36 seconds and been knocked out by former boxing champ Ray Mercer in nine seconds. Since then, however, his only setback has been to Wagner, though most of his competition has been against regional talent.

Cormier is now recovering from a broken hand following his win over Josh Barnett in the grand prix finals, which took place in May.

Earlier this year, Sylvia vigorously campaigned for another shot in the UFC and urged his Twitter followers to do so. At one point, he even shot a video of a workout and posted it online, presumably to show he was fit enough to compete in the UFC.

But UFC president Dana White flatly rejected the idea of a Sylvia return.

“No,” White then told MMAjunkie.com when asked whether Sylvia could possibly be seen again inside the octagon. “I don’t even know what Tim Sylvia’s done. The last Tim Sylvia fight I saw, he got knocked out by a boxer. What has he done since then?”

White, in fact, also denied rumors of a potential Strikeforce deal just this week.

More at MMAJunkie

Owner/Editor of SevereMMA.com. Writer, Podcaster, Producer of 'Notorious: Conor McGregor' film, 'Conor McGregor: Notorious' TV series, 'Ten Thousand Hours', 'The Fighting Irish' and more documentary films.