Jose Aldo vs Conor McGregor to go ahead as planned at UFC 189; Mendes on standby

aldomcgregorstaredownbig

After news broke over the last 48 hours that Jose Aldo was injured and his UFC 189 bout with Conor McGregor was in jeopardy, everyone from Joseph Duffy to Frankie Edgar to Urijah Faber have thrown their names into the hat to face the Irishman. Now, though, it has been confirmed by the UFC that Aldo’s scheduled doctor’s appointment today went well and he will, in fact, be able to defend his belt against McGregor on July 11th.

Former two time title contender Chad Mendes will serve as an alternative in the event Aldo cannot compete.

Initial reports from Brazil emerged on Tuesday that Aldo had hurt his rib sparring with fellow Brazilian Alcides Nunes. In a report from MMAFighting.com, Nunes said that the injury occurred when he slipped on sweat covered mats while trying to mimic Conor McGregor’s kicking style.

Aldo was immediately taken to his doctors by coach Andre Pederneiras on Tuesday evening where scans were taken.

While awaiting those results the world of MMA went into meltdown with suggestions that the fight would be rescheduled or Aldo would be replaced, with McGregor possibly fighting for an interim title.

Those worries can now be put to bed after, today, the scan results emerged, and although Aldo’s ribs are bruised it isn’t serious enough to keep Aldo out of what is undoubtedly the biggest money fight of the year.

UFC released the following statement:

“In light of recent reports regarding the status of UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, UFC has received official medical confirmation from several doctors that Aldo did not suffer a broken rib. Following a review of the scans, it has been determined that the champion suffered a bone bruise to his rib and cartilage injury during training.

With this news, Aldo has expressed that he has every intention of facing Conor McGregor at UFC 189.

While Aldo has indicated that he will compete in Las Vegas on July 11, UFC has confirmed a contingency plan. No.1 featherweight contender Chad Mendes will face McGregor for the interim UFC featherweight championship in the event Aldo cannot compete.

UFC remains committed to delivering the featherweight and the welterweight championship fights at UFC 189 during UFC International Fight Week in Las Vegas.”

McGregor commented on the situation moments after the UFC’s official statement was released

Along with the blockbuster main event UFC189 will also feature Rory MacDonald’s challenge for Robbie Lawler’s UFC welterweight belt while Irishmen Cathal Pendred and Neil Seery, as well as Irish trained Gunnar Nelson, will also feature on what is a stacked undercard.

UPDATE: ESPN’s Brett Okamoto spoke to the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s chairman Francisco Aguilar who said that they are aware of the reports of  Jose Aldo’s rib injury and will conduct their own analysis to confirm that Aldo does not have a fractured rib

 

Podcaster, lead MMA writer and analyst for SevereMMA. Host of the SevereMMA podcast, out every Sunday. Economics and Mathematics graduate from UCC. Also write for Sherdog. Previously of hov-mma and fightbooth. As heard on 2FM, Red FM, Today FM and more. Follow me on twitter for updates @SeanSheehanBA and on Facebook Facebook.com/seansheehanmma