Dana White explains why plans for Rousey vs. Tate 3 changed

mieshatate

Miesha Tate claimed she was “shocked” when she heard last month’s announcement that Ronda Rousey’s next fight would be against UFC newcomer Holly Holm.

That’s because UFC President Dana White had publicly stated that ‘Cupcake’ was the No. 1 contender and would fight ‘Rowdy’ for a third time at a forthcoming PPV. Now Tate has been passed over, and without so much as even a phone call or email to inform her.

White sat down on Fox Sports’ UFC Tonight broadcast this week and explained the decision to not give Tate another shot at Rousey —€” yet.

“She’s lost to Ronda twice,” White said Wednesday. “Holly Holm —€” WBC, WBA, WBF, IBA, you name it, she’s won the belt in boxing, she’s 9-0 in mixed martial arts. If you look at the range and the distance, the head kicks, all the attributes … We originally brought Holly Holm into the UFC to fight Ronda Rousey. That fight makes sense.”

“Miesha, at this point in her career, if she loses to Ronda Rousey a third time, it’s a career killer.”

White said despite the appearance that Rousey has cleared out her division, “there’s still a lot of talent in that division.” And that most certainly includes Tate. She is after all, the singular competitor who has taken the undefeated bantamweight champion out of round one…

“I know it seems like Miesha Tate got a bad break in this thing, but realistically when you look at it, Miesha has lost to her twice,” White said. “Miesha’s gonna have to knock a couple more people off to get to Ronda.”

Rousey will defend her title for the thirteenth time against Holm at UFC 193. The PPV takes place at the Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, Australia on 14th November.

Endless UFC and MMA obsessive, Chris adores the intense world of this sport - both inside and outside the Octagon. He is also a cinema devotee and has carved an elongated career in film criticism across both online and print media. He hopes you all read this bio in your best Bruce Buffer voice...